Tuesday, June 14, 2011

GBBD June 2011-A Bouquet of Beauty

Where do I start? June is by far one of the most beautiful blooming months in my area of Utah. I wish I could post all my photos, but I'll try to restrain myself and only post a sampling of the beauty around here. That's why gardening and photography are a perfect match...because photographing this beauty freezes time for a moment and helps me appreciate and re-live it all over again (maybe during winter...heaven knows we need it with our endless winters here). My first subject to display is my 'Sarah Bernhardt' peony Paeonia Lactiflora. Isn't she a beauty? She just opened yesterday, just in time for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. I would say that was PERFECT timing.

Peonies are so BEAUTIFUL! They have a short blooming time span, but they are well worth the wait each year. I've been anticipating their blooms for weeks now. Now I need to add to my collection. I can't have just one with all the gorgeous varieties to choose from.

For the first couple years my peony bloomed, I watched these beautiful blooms unfurl only to be disappointed when the stems flopped over from the weight of the flower. This year I wised-up and staked the plant as it was growing. As you can see in the image below, I placed three bamboo stakes close to the plant, and in three sections, tied twine around the entire plant to help keep the peony together and support the weight of the blooms. The leaves covered the twine quite nicely. My idea worked perfectly, and I love the organic look of the bamboo stakes.

These baby peonies are waiting patiently for their time to bloom.

Next is my beautiful clematis, 'Little Duckling'. It's on the east-facing side of my home and it seems to like it there. My Japanese maple is reaching its branch out to steal a little attention in the shot too.

Thought I would zoom in for a closer look so you too could appreciate the detail.

Since taking this photo a few days ago, there are even more blooms open today. Each day this month is a gardener's adventure watching to see what will bloom next!

I don't own a wisteria vine, but this tree called 'Purple Robe' Idaho Robina Ambigua 'Idahoensis' locust comes in a close second to the wisteria. It's blossoms remind me of a cluster of wisteria flowers, and even the leaves look similar to wispy wisteria leaves.

Idaho Locust Robinia x ambigua 'Idahoensis'

Not sure about the variety of this columbine. It's my neighbors.

I think old-fashioned bleeding heart 'Dicentra spectabilis' is an interesting perennial. Its name suits it well. I was reading recently about good companion plants for bleeding heart. They are hosta, false spirea, and ferns. Try tucking a few of these plants around your bleeding heart.

Coral Bells Heuchera Sanguinea 'Snow Angel'




Ornamental strawberry ground cover grows well in full sun as well as part sun.

Salvia leucantha 'May Night'




If you are trying to attract pollenators like honey bees, they love this stuff.

My husband and I planted this Dwarf False Spirea ('Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sem') just a couple weeks ago. Even though it's not blooming yet, I thought I would post a picture of it. The leaf structure reminds me of a fern and the pinkish tipped new growth gives the plant interest. Apparently it has white blooms that bloom all summer.

Over by my mailbox I've planted guara (Guara lindheimeri 'Perky Pink') with a few zinnias tucked around for more color. The guara has not bloomed yet but gets wispy wands of pink flowers. Even better is that guara is drought tolerent and is a very hardy plant here.

Pretty chives blossom in my garden. Chives are an herb that is hardy in my zone 5 area and will return each spring.


Baby romaine and rosemary planted in my concrete block raised vegetable garden.

This is another view of my vegetable garden. Growing right now are my snow peas, garlic, tomatoes (in my wall-o-waters), herbs, and lettuce. I used bamboo stakes to trellis my snowpeas with string attached for the peas to have something to climb onto. It's working very well.

Closer view of snow peas...white marigolds and lobelia are planted to soften the edges and attract pollenators.



This romaine mix has been delicious! It's so attactive too with its speckled, burgandy, and chartreuse leaves.

The next few photos of the bearded iris' are gorgeous. Unfortunately I do not know the varieties because a neighbor (who has since moved) gave them to me when she divided them one year. I'll have to investigate I guess.






Hope you've enjoyed viewing what's been blooming in my garden. Happy gardening and happy GBBD! Go visit May Dreams Gardens to check out more garden blogs. http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/2011/06/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-june-2011.html

12 comments:

  1. You picked the most perfect bloom to start out today's blog. Nothing beats a pink peony. Beautiful photos.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. All are so beautiful! Looks like you have spring and summer blooming together! I LOVE the Idaho Locust Robinia x ambigua 'Idahoensis'. I wonder if that will grow in Illinois. We are in the same zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pretty pretty! Just adore those bleeding hearts! And clever planting things inside the cinder blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so much going on in your garden right now. Love the Lobelia in the blocks around the edge of your vegie bed and the flowers of that Robina are just beautiful. Pretty Peonies and Bearded Irises too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Purple Robe Robinia is wonderful... I once had one with that name, but the color was different. I do like yours! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post...all those Iris are just stunning...and the color of the Salvia always gets me...such a rich, deep purple. Thanks for the ID on the Spirea...I've seen those around town and wondered what they were!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks great! I like your idea for raised beds with the concrete blocks...I've not seen that before, but it's a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those peonies are really nice looking. So many pinks, maroons and reds in your garden - looks great. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden looks GREAT Ramona!
    You're so smart to tie up your peonies. I should have ~ mine are flopping. I think that's why I'm liking the single and double flowered varieties now tho ~ so I don't have to stake! Am I lazy or what??!!
    I'm so glad you posted the 'Purple Robe' locust tree. There's a house in my neighborhood that has one blooming right now and I couldn't figure out what it was. I remember noticing the leaves looked like a locust but I haven't ever see one that blooms before. It's a beautiful tree.
    Beautiful clematis and iris too. June is a wonderful month for sure. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A locust tree with gold leaves and raspberry flowers--now that really gives wisteria a run for its money--gorgeous. I am going to Goggle it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks stunning. And those peonies....sigh.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is so beautiful with beautiful rosy roses. Well, Plants are so good for the air quality in your home. I also planted bonsai and flower pots at my home. I have always struggled a bit trying to display them and fit them into the decor.

    ReplyDelete