Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My PERFECT Spring Day!


Today has been as close to a perfect day as anyone could ask for. Just look at this beauty! The sun was shining, the temperatures were in the mid 70's, a little breeze was blowing, and the sky was absolutely amazing! Who could ask for anything more? I wish all you blogger friends could have experienced this day with me.



My children know that the blue sky with white fluffy clouds is my FAVORITE sky. It's a little piece of heaven and makes me happy. I just laid on my lawn and soaked in the warmth.







This view of the mountains is from our driveway. As you can see, we've had our share of snow this winter and spring. There is a lot of snow still yet to melt which is causing some flooding issues in our state (Utah).





This shot was taken from my backyard, looking out toward the field behind our lot.

And more beautiful skies...it was so picturesque. Unlike where I grew up in Louisiana, where we practically live in forests, we have BIG open skies in Utah, which makes for many colorful sunrises and sunsets.





I even spent time playing with my daughter's puppy cause he loves to go outside.



Awe, isn't he so cute?









My black-eyed Susan vine, 'Lemon Eyes' loves the sun as well and hopefully will fill the obleisk with loads of blossoms.





I even had time to plant zinnias for a "pop" of summer color.



More zinnias (Dreamland mix)



My 'Goldflame' honeysuckle (Lonicera heckrottii) is just beginning to bloom...love the sweet scent of honeysuckle!





My fountain garden is still evolving into something that I've envisioned, but it's not there yet. The climbing rose is leafing out, creeping phlox is beginning to fade, the daylilies will eventually bloom to give this bed some much needed color, and the honeysuckle my husband and I just planted should help fill in some of the empty space behind the aborvitae that's taking its own sweet time to grow. I think I need a trellis for the honeysuckle. Now I'm on the hunt for two.






Got my west-facing pots soaking in some much needed warmth and light to help them fill in the empty gaps.



I decided to plant mint this year since I enjoy cooking and garnishing with it. Because I've learned that mint can be invasive, it's planted in its own container so I won't be pulling mint babies from my garden for the rest of my life.






I'm hoping my honeysuckle will be happy with its new home in my fountain garden.





Lobelia and marigold fill the holes around my raised bed garden to soften the hard edges of the concrete block.




Just planted sweet basil in my garden...one of my favorite herbs to cook with. My family loves the pungent scent of basil too.






Purple ruffled basil has more of a licorice flavor, but I'm giving it a try this year.



Flat-leaf Italian parsley is a must-have herb if you like cooking with fresh herbs.



I'm so happy to report that my snow peas, yes I said snow peas, are beginning to bloom. They've only been planted since mid-March. With our crazy weather, who knows what I'll harvest from my garden this year!




As I reflect upon this perfect spring day, I am so grateful for that I can experience it with all five senses (sight, touch, smell, taste, sound). Gardening would not be as tangible without them. As I enjoyed this day, a song that I sang as a child played its melody in my head. I thought I would share it with you so maybe you will appreciate it as well.




Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.





He gave me my eyes that I might see
the color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him reverently
For all his creations of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.



8 comments:

  1. It truly was a perfect day! And, we needed one after all this rain! I loved your pics. Just gorgeous. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness Ramona ~ there's so much to comment on here. First, what beautiful views you have! We still have lots of snow on this side of the Rockies too. Second I LOVE your arbor garden!!! It reminds me of Italy for some reason??
    Then I just love how you've planted in your cinder blocks. Perfect place to grow herbs! You're so smart. Glad you had such a terrific day.
    The garden tour was in Boulder. I lived there for two years when I first moved to Colorado. I still love to go back and explore all the great gardens/scenery. Their garden tour is always one of the areas best. I hope you have as inspiring a time on your tour as I did on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the great weather as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pics, Ramona. And that song is one of my favorites, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those big skies...sigh. We live in the city, it seems that there are never big sky views for us.

    I am enjoying them immensely on your blog.

    What a beautiful garden you have, stunning.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky girl! I can feel your relaxation into the warmth of such a beautiful day. I like how you've used the concrete blocks as planters...that looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramona, I really love the wide open spaces--they give you a feeling of freedom you don't have in our dense PA woods. Great idea to use the concrete blocks on their sides and them plant in them. I bet it will look even better when it fills in. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete