Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Belated Garden Blogger's Bloom Day-August 2011

This summer has been a whirlwind of activity and emotions, from the death of my mother-in-law to some very personal challenges! Lets just say I cannot handle another repeat of this summer! As a result of these experiences I've had to let my blogging time fall by the wayside temporarily. I know I'm a day late posting my GBBD post, but better late than never I guess.

Just when my garden is looking a little tattered and worn out, these beautiful "Limelight" hydrangeas steal the show for late summer color and look stunning well into the fall. They really hold up well in our dry climate in Utah, unlike most bigleaf hydrangeas that need constant humidity and more mild temperatures.



This daylily has about spent its blooming cycle this summer. Only a few more blossoms remain to bloom.

In the vegetable garden, my "Yukon Gold" potatoes are flowering. I just planted them July 1st to be harvested this fall.

These are two of my "Celebrity" tomatoes. As you can see we've had our share of crazy thunderstorms as indicated by the hailstone scars on the green one. Ummm! There is nothing better than a home-grown tomato!

Zucchini
I decided to plant a few more Heirloom tomatoes this year. This variety is called "Black Cherry." It's delicious!

As delicious as the "Black Cherry" tomato is, this cherry tomato, "Sunsugar" is like eating garden candy. Many of my neighbors have planted this variety after sampling these tomatoes from my garden. If you love cherry tomatoes, you better plant this one!



This is the last of my Shasta ("Becky") daisies to bloom.

These zinnias have been outstanding performers this summer. If I could figure out how to keep the earwigs from devouring them, I would be a happy gardener. I'm going to try some organic methods that I read about online.

The zinnia variety I planted this year is called "Dreamland. " They are a dwarf-type variety that has held-up well in our 50 mile-an-hour microburst winds.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post...and you are reminding me that I MUST plant some Zinnias next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful! And I love the second photo of a white flower.

    Cassy from Beginner Free Guitar Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ramona. So sorry to hear you're not having a great summer. I hope things start to go better. Your garden looks gorgeous ~ maybe you've been getting a lot of "therapy" by working in it? Whatever you're doing, it's working! I started some zinnias from seed this year but I can't say I've had much success. Just a couple plants are producing few flowers. Next year I either have to start them earlier or buy them.
    Your hydrangeas are fabulous. I have an oakleaf that struggles ~ maybe I should switch out to these?
    Wishing you a better end of the season...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I know you haven't posted in a long time, but I stumbled across your blog and wanted to thank you for this post. I have been looking for hydrangeas that might tolerate our Utah climate. I haven't found them in any local nurseries, however. If you happen to read this, where did you find them? Thanks again.. you have a beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete